Friday, June 24, 2011

Meet the Mettler Center Staff #5: Lori Ozment


Name: Lori Ozment
Position: Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instructor
Years at Mettler Center: 11
College/Education: Mennonite Hospital School of Nursing for RN; Illinois State University for BS in Psychology; University of Illinois for MS in Social Work

When you are not working at Mettler, what do you like to do in your spare time?
Walk my dogs, run, cycle, travel and read

Why is fitness an important part of your life?
I really like being as healthy as possible. I also like to eat!

In what ways of your life are you the healthiest - and in others, less so?
I do the usual healthy lifestyle things like exercise, eat pretty well, drink in moderation and do not smoke. My biggest health shortcoming is SWEETS! I also struggle to get enough quality sleep every night.

What are your secrets to staying motivated with fitness/healthy eating?
It is so helpful to work in the fitness industry because if makes me a role model - what better motivation do you need? Anyone can be a role model for friends and people who also like to be active. Getting my workouts done early so I cannot procrastinate and talking to others about what I am doing has become part of my persona. My biggest secret for healthy eating is to continue with the plan Melissa (Smith, Licensed Dietician at Mettler Center) developed for me, which includes lots of veggies, protein, a couple of dairy and fruit servings and healthy fats every day.
What one health secret would you like to share with readers?
If it has ingredients you can't pronounce, don't eat it!

What's the biggest health risk you've ever taken - and were you glad that you did it?
I went tandem skydiving - loved it! The freefall was the best.

If you weren't in the health and wellness field, what would you be doing?
I would probably be utilizing by Masters degree by counseling clients.

Do you follow and special type of diet plan?
Like I said, Melissa has helped create a plan for me. It was a revelation for me to work with her and start looking at my carb intake. The plan I follow allows me to enjoy the foods I like in moderation and it is a plan I can follow forever.

What one thing gets your energized more than anything?
It really gets me going to have sun and cool air early in the morning for a run. I also love coming to the gym and having a room full of people who want to work out together.

What is your biggest not-so-healthy-indulgence?
SWEETS! Chocolate, pie, cookies and cake. Yum!

When you need to unwind, what do you do?
I love a hot soak in the tub.

If you could tell non-members one thing about Group Exercise at Mettler Center, what would it be?
Our instructors are phenomenally warm and engaging and our members are very welcoming to newcomers.

Lori teaches Complete Mix and Strength Coach classes at Mettler; check out our Group Fitness Schedule for a complete listing of classes! She is just one of the many excellent teachers we have at Mettler!

No comments:

Post a Comment