Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Meet the Mettler Center Staff #2: Bart Lindsay

Name: Bart Lindsay
Position at Mettler Center: Personal Training Coordinator
Years at Mettler Center: 7+ years
College/Education: Eastern Illinois University, BS Zoology, MS Biology

When you are not working at Mettler Center, what do you like to do in your spare time?
Attend St. Louis Cardinals games, entertain my 17 month old daughter, cookout with friends, and find unique restaurants with dishes like the Irish Slinger or a 3-egg crepe with roasted garlic - delicious!
Why is fitness an important part of your life?
Starting high school, I was about 5'6", 125 pounds, but reasonably athletic. I had to get stronger and faster if I was going to compete. Exercising just stuck and I've never looked back. Now nearing 40, I feel great!

In what ways of your life are you the healthiest - and in others, less so?
Well, of course, I shoot to exercise at least 5 days a week and my wife is a Certified Nutritionist so we eat pretty healthily. I try to keep my mind healthy and stress free by relaxing when I can, working in the yard, building stuff in my barn, watching a good movie and reading a little (preferably something positive and inspirational). Less healthy aspects? I love a good tasting beer or glass of wine on the weekend. I'll eat any dessert you put in front of me (both of which prevent the 6-pack abs I've always wanted...oh well). And some days I can be a real stress ball (work, child, bills...), so I practice patience and understanding.

What are your secrets to staying motivated with fitness/healthy eating?
I wouldn't say I have a secret. Exercise and healthy eating have always come easy for me. What I recommend, though, is to always be trying and improving. One 15-minute walk in a day is 100% better than doing nothing at all! And an apple instead of a candy bar once a week absolutely will make a difference. Start small and build progressively like it's a long-term plan. Nobody can do it all at once.

What's the biggest risk you've ever taken - and were you glad that you did it?
I quit my job in Springfield, moved to Indianapolis with my fiance (neither of us had jobs there - but found jobs), got married...been so for 10 years now. So that worked out.

If you weren't in the health and wellness field, what would you be doing (professionally)?
Playing center field for the Cardinals. Or more likely doing some biological or environmental consulting, possible some zoological research. I studied a lot of animal physiology and wildlife techniques, as well as human anatomy/physiology in college.

Do you follow any special type of diet plan?
No specific plan, but I follow the following "ideas":
  • Eat whole foods
  • It it's boxed or bagged, it's probably junk
  • Not all organic, but some things are better organic
  • Local meats, eggs, veggies when possible
  • Balance throughout the day
  • Not too much at one time
  • Not too much late at night
  • Be disciplined and make smart choices
Most of the time it's obvious. It's the only way to get where you want.

What one thing gets you energized more than anything?
The thought of feeling and looking like a slob. Especially now (mid-life), I feel tons better when I exercise - mentally as well as physically.

What is your biggest not-so-healthy indulgence?
Hmm...either a tall glass of Hefeweizen or a big bowl of bread pudding. Aw, just havin' 'em together!

When you need to unwind, what do you do?
To quote one of the funniest movies ever, Office Space, "I would do nothing." I can sit down, put on a movie I've seen a million times (or not) and let my mind and body relax. Sitting on a beach listening to the water and watching the sunset would do too...if I had the means more often.

If you could tell non-members one thing about Personal Training at Mettler Center, what would it be?
It's the finest you'll find. Caring, hard-working professionals that listen to needs and get results. Comfortable atmosphere, challenging workouts and success. You have to meet them to know what I mean, and once you do, I think you'll agree. Weight loss, medical issues, getting in summer shape, or just fighting against the aging process - someone here can help.

Check out more about the Personal Training services at Mettler Center on our website. Stop in today for a free tour or call 217.356.6543 for more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment