Monday, June 20, 2011

Meet the Mettler Center Staff #1: Jami Taylor

This week's posts will feature 5 different Mettler Center staff members. Our interviews with the staff will give you a glimpse into their personal life, hobbies, healthy (and not so healthy!) habits, as well as their recommendations on living life to the fullest. We take a great deal of pride in our staff and feel they are excellent representations of living a wholesome, healthy life. While we are only featuring 5 out of our many staff members, we hope this provides both members and non-members with a well-rounded snapshot of the various departments and staff that we have.

We encourage you to ask questions to our featured staff! Post your questions to them and we will do our best to answer everyone's questions!

Thank you to our featured staff members - we appreciate your time and effort and all that they do to make Mettler Center a one-of-a-kind fitness facility.

Meet the Mettler Center Staff #1: Jami Taylor

Name: Jami Taylor
Position at Mettler Center: Massage Services Coordinator, Licensed Massage Therapist
Years at Mettler Center: August will be 8 years!
College/Education: Body Therapy Center School, Swansea, IL (600+ hour certification). Nationally certified and licensed in massage therapy.

When you are not working at Mettler, what do you like to do in your spare time?
I enjoy working out (at Mettler of course!), taking my dog on trips or for walks, kayaking/hiking, hanging out downtown with friends, seeing live music, spending time with family.

Why is health and well-being an important part of your life?
I grew up in a pretty unhealthy household and did not have the best examples growing up health-wise. Over the years, I have seen the amazing difference taking care of our bodies makes; it has such an impact on everything physically and mentally. We have one body and one life, why not make it as good as it can be?!

In what ways of your life are you the healthiest - and in others, less so?
Over the last year, I have become very dedicated to exercising and feel like I'm in the best shape of my life - and getting better all the time. I could definitely do better with my diet, though. I'm a vegetarian...but am not always so good about eating my veggies - go figure!

What one health secret would you like to share with readers?
I'm not sure it's a secret, but I have fallen in love with Green Monster shakes. The ingredients are endless, but my favorite is skim milk, strawberries, kiwi, protein powder, large portion of spinach, honey and greek yogurt. Put in all in a blender and voila!

What's the biggest risk you've ever taken - and were you glad that you did it?
When I was 16, I decided to go to a concert with a 21 year old guy in Missouri...and told my parents I was staying the night at a girlfriend's house. I was pretty much risking my life because I was pretty sure my mom would kill me if she found out! And she did, of course. I'm still alive, but it was a rough couple of weeks after the concert! I AM glad I did it, though; it was a great concert and I learned a valuable lesson, too.

If you weren't in massage therapy, what would you be doing (professionally)?
I actually just finished my degree in X-Ray technology and am currently working on MRI certification. I will never leave massage therapy completely, but my hands can't do it full time forever.
What one thing gets you energized more than anything?
Music - I love it!

When you need to unwind, what do you do?
Take a walk, listen to music, get a massage, read.

How many types of massages exist? Do the massage therapists at Mettler Center all practice the same type of massage?
There are hundreds of different modalities in existence. At Mettler, we do all the basics, plus a few specialized techniques, like hot stone massage and cupping therapy. Our massage therapists all do Swedish/Relaxation massage, aside from that we all d other additional combinations of techniques. We are required as therapists to complete a certain amount of continuing education every 2 years and it is up to the individual therapist would they would like to do. The options are endless!

What are the biggest benefits of massage therapy to the common individual?
Relaxation and tension relief are the big ones. Massage is very sedating to the nervous system and helps to lengthen and stretch soft tissues.

What should people do after a massage to make sure they get the full benefit?
Drinking water is very important; massage "milks" toxins out of the tissues and increasing water intake helps flush those toxins out of the body. I always recommend not working out or doing anything strenuous afterward either; just let the body be relaxed and reap the benefits.

If you could tell non-members one things about Massage Therapy at Mettler Center, what would it be?
We have an incredible group of very talented Therapists, and you don't need to be a member to receive massages with us. Members do get a discount, though!

Check out more benefits and types of massages offered at Mettler Center on our website. Want to book a massage with Jami or one of our other certified massage therapists? Call 217.356.6543 to book your appointment today!

2 comments:

  1. Jami is the best Massage therapist ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jami has a gift with massage therapy. Everyone LOVES her. Not only is she icredibly talented with massage, she is extremely professional.

    ReplyDelete