Thursday, June 23, 2011

Meet the Mettler Center Staff #4: Joy Sheehan


Name: Joy Sheehan
Position: Manager of Fitness and Wellness, Group Exercise Coordinator
Years at Mettler Center: 6+ years

When you are not working at Mettler, what do you like to do in your spare time?
I enjoy spending time in our backyard with my husband and children, and any other details where we can be a family with everyone together.

Why is fitness an important part of your life?
The benefits of fitness and wellness impacts all we do. So many details in our day to do lives are out of our control. Wellness is a detail you can improve with dedications, knowledge and making smart choices - we have control to improve.

In what ways of your life are you the healthiest - and in others, less so?
I exercise regularly and love it. If I applied only half of what I know about nutrition and healthy eating, I would be so much better. Having a large family that is extremely busy makes this challenging.

What helps you stay motivated to live a life of fitness and healthy eating?
I enjoying being able to keep up with my kids. I want to live a long, healthy life to see my kids grow up and enjoy some time alone with my husband someday.
What one health secret would you like to share with readers?
If you're a bad water drinker, use the add-ins to help flavor your water. Drink up!

What's the biggest risk you've ever taken - and were you glad that you did it?
Not a risk, but more of a professional challenge, was when I became the Manager of Fitness and Wellness. Very glad I did it - well worth it and I love it. I love meeting and working with people and my position allows for both. I like tackling tough and challenging situations, knowing you can reach some good in the outcome. Confrontation is the tough part, but once that is done, you can move forward. Mettler Center's environment is very positive, motivational and inspiring.

If you weren't in the health and wellness field, what would you be doing?
I can't even imagine being in any other field! Health and fitness allows my past to be such a part of my present life. I got started in fitness due to me first child having severe special needs. Because of his needs, I had to tackle many doctors, nutritionists and medical details for his quality of life. Through this knowledge, I learned the many benefits of taking care of myself and my family. There is not a day that goes by that my boy is not a part of what I do at Mettler Center. Taylor died in 2000. I love fitness and wellness and how it can improve all aspects of life.
What one thing gets you energized more than anything?
Seeing my kids excel in something after they've worked so hard to achieve a goal.

What is your biggest not-so-healthy indulgence?
Custard Cup and bite-size Twizzlers.

When you need to unwind, what do you do?
I have a very active family. My oldest boy just graduated high school, I have two girls in high school and another girl in elementary school. All their many activities keep us very busy. I love being able to relax in our backyard, which has been an ongoing family project. We have a pool, lounging area, outdoor
kitchen and fire pit. We love the outdoors and just relaxing together as a family.

What are the biggest benefits of being a member at Mettler Center?
Mettler Center has some of the finest men and women (both staff and members) in the Champaign-Urbana area. We are a wellness center, which sets us apart from all other workout facilities! We educate our people from the time they step into our facility. From their first orientation with a personal trainer to our group exercise classes, our biggest priority is safety. Along with safety, we will always promote correct form, proper alignment and offer modifications to all fitness levels. We want the fittest of the fit to be challenged and those who are just starting to workout to feel capable; we want everyone to leave feeling good about themselves and what they have achieved.

What does Mettler Center have to offer that sets it apart from the other fitness facilities in Champaign-Urbana?
We truly live out our mission statement - "to transform the lives of the people we serve."

If you could tell non-members one thing about becoming a member, what would it be?
We genuinely and sincerely care about our people. We will take great care of them. We pride ourselves on the best customer service and the cleanliness of our entire facility. For whole life fitness, come visit Mettler Center and see for yourself what makes us so unique.

If you are already a Mettler Center member, tell us what you love most about Mettler Center. And if you are thinking about becoming a member,make sure to check out all the membership options and services that we offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment